location icon

Free across Germany

Free for you, paid by lenders

 Mon - Fri: 9 AM - 7 PM

Exploring my options

I'm a freelancer, am I eligible for a mortgage and how much?

It’s true that getting a mortgage as a self-employed person or freelancer is indeed harder but not impossible, especially with us at your side. To be eligible, you generally need to fulfill the following criteria:

  • Have been active for at least two years.

  • Have a stable income for at least two years.

If you can prove a stable income and decent earnings over these two years or have a clear employment history, then we can help you qualify for a mortgage. The documents required for your mortgage application are as follows:

  • Two most recent tax declarations ("Einkommenssteuererklärung") – this is the tax declaration you have submitted to the German tax office.

  • Two most recent tax returns ("Einkommenssteuerbescheid") – you receive these tax return from the German tax office.

  • Profit & loss account for the last full calendar year ("BWA - Betriebswirtschaftliche Auswertung") – this evaluation shows your current revenue and must be verified by your accountant.

  • Balance sheets incl. profit-and-loss calculation for the last two full calendar years ("Gewinn-Verlust-Rechnung") – you get these from your tax accountant.

Doctors, lawyers, and similar professions that operate normally as self-employed are often treated by mortgage institutions akin to salaried people.

Calculate your mortgage options

Use Hypofriend’s mortgage calculator to calculate your mortgage options in Germany.

Calculate my options
Michael Michael Michael

How can we help?

Speak to an expert