I'm self-employed, am I eligible for a mortgage?

It’s true that getting a mortgage as a self-employed person or freelancer is indeed harder but not impossible, especially with us at your side. To be eligible, you generally need to fulfill the following criteria:

  • Have been active for at least 2 years

  • Have a stable income for at least 2 years

If you can prove a stable income and decent earnings over these two years or have a clear employment history than we can help you qualify for a mortgage. The documents required for your mortgage application are as follows:

  • Two most recent tax declarations ("Einkommenssteuererklärung") – this is the tax declaration you have submitted to the German tax office

  • Two most recent tax returns ("Einkommenssteuerbescheid") – you receive these tax return from the German tax office

  • Profit & loss account for the last full calendar year ("BWA - Betriebswirtschaftliche Auswertung") – this evaluation shows your current revenue and must be verified by your accountant

  • Balance sheets incl. profit-and-loss calculation for the last two full calendar years ("Gewinn-Verlust-Rechnung") – you get these from your tax accountant

Doctors, lawyers and similar professions that operate normally as self-employed are often treated by mortgage institutions akin to salaried people.

Looking for a mortgage?

Use Hypofriend's affordability calculator to see what you can afford based on your personal situation.

See what I can afford

How can we help?

Speak to an expert

Certified by

Covered by

Licensed by

Certified by

Covered by

Licensed by